City Folk

"Mom, he's taking our picture!"

Since I last posted here, I moved to a new house.  I am now living in Anacortes, right in the middle of the city.  Interestingly, this place doesn't seem to be any less wild than the rural location where I was before.  This doe and fawn are just one of the families that pass through here every day.  These are indigenous Columbian Black-tailed Deer, Odocoileus hemionus columbianis.  I had just come home from a hike and spotted them in the cul-de-sac in front of my house.  I took this photo from the car.

Columbian Black-tailed Deer

Here's a shot taken through my living room window the other day.  She just decided to take a rest in back yard.  I regularly see two does with fawns, one with twins and one with a single offspring.  I also see one with no offspring, and this may be her.


Then, there was this guy that passed through the back yard early this morning.  I have motion-activated video cameras around the house that are catching a lot of the goings-on when I'm not looking.

Douglas Squirrel

Here's another regular visitor, a Douglas Squirrel, Tamiasciurus douglasii.  He stops by a couple of times every day.  He climbs down the corner of the chimney from the roof to enjoy some sunflower seeds.  When he is done, he climbs back up to the roof.  He never just travels across the ground.  Probably safer that way.  I took this photo through my living room window.  I also have resident Eastern Gray Squirrels, but we won't talk about them.


Finally, this family of Raccoons (Procyon lotor) also passed through this morning.  There's never a dull moment in the city.